Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bear Tagging

A Rick Mercer Report
I found the following video very interesting. It involves going to the den of a mother bear and tagging her 3 cubs plus gathering other scientific information.

We have lots of bears in our area, including the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and in the national forests. This video was taken in Canada, but I am guessing black bears are black bears.

Rick is a great host for the video and makes the clip fun to watch. You’ll find it entertaining and educational.

Bear Encounters of the Personal Kind
I’ve encounter bears numerous time in the Great Smoky Mountains. Most were fun sightings, but a couple were more personal.

Picnic at Chimney’s Picnic Area
We used to enjoy picnic outings. Back in 1963 we had set the picnic table. We had fried chicken and lots of good food on the table, when along came Mr. Bear. OK, I told everybody. Don’t worry. I’ll scare it away. But this bear did not scare. He reared up on his hind legs, and I quickly backed away. We ran to the car. There we sat while Mr. Bear got up on the table and had a messy, but undoubtedly, delicious meal.

In My Car!
We parked my 1957 Chevy convertible (with the top down) at the parking lot for the Chimney’s hiking trail. We took a short hike down by the stream. When we returned, there was a crowd of people around my car. Then when I got closer, I saw a bear setting in the front seat. People were laughing, taking pictures, and enjoying the moment. I was not! I think the bear realized I was the owner of the car, as he leaped out when I ran toward the car hollering and waving my arms. He left a mess of drool and cookie crumbs from a BirthdaySnoopyHappyDancebag of snacks we had left in the car.

Zachary’s 10th Birthday 
Yesterday was Zachary’s Birthday. He was 10 years old. We celebrated with him and his family last night. I’ll have some pictures to show you tomorrow. We had fun watching him open his presents and cards. He’s quite a boy!!!

Note: I was not able to announce Zachary’s Birthday in yesterday’s blog because we had a power outage that lasted about 20 hours. It was caused by a bad storm that came through our neighborhood on Sunday evening around 7 PM. We have some large tree limbs down in our yard, so I’ll be busy the next few days cleaning up.



~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
I’ve heard all my life that behind every successful man is his woman. More recently I recognize that behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.


~~~
Quote of the Day
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
~Milton Berle


~~~
Joke of the Day

They say a man has three “rings” in his life:

- Engagement ring
- Wedding ring
- Suffering

But that would also apply to a woman. Right?

 



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: