Friday, June 27, 2008

Lake Erie Walleye

Our good friend Celia gave me a magazine for me to read recently. It was the June, 2008 issue of the New York State Conservationist. There was a very interesting article in this issue titled, "Wall to Walleye in Lake Erie". The article talks about the recovery of the Walleye Pike in Lake Erie. Catch rates are higher than they have been in many years as a result of the high walleye populations which is estimated to be in millions. I was interested in this article, because it was last year I went on a fishing trip to Lake Erie and we fished for Walleye. We did good on that trip, thanks to our guide Captain Matt. You can see our pictures from that trip on my Lake Erie Fishing Trip Album.

Something Else In Lake Erie
A few days ago I received this picture of a Sturgeon t
hat was caught on Lake Erie on 11/19/2007. The fish was still alive in the photo and was turned loose after the photo. It was reported that it weighed over 1,000 pounds... and it was a little over 11 feet long. They said it took 4 guys taking turns over 6 hours to bring the fish to the boat.
I hope this fish survived.

Sturgeon in Tennessee
Sturgeon are a primitive fish and are long lived, reaching a life span of maybe 150 years. In Tennessee there has been a restoration project to return Sturgeon to the F
rench Broad and Holston Rivers. If you catch one of these fish in Tennessee you should record the approximate length and location and report it to TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency). The fish should be returned to the water immediately. It is illegal to possess one of these fish. In Tennessee they are "State Endangered".


~~~

Quotes of the Day
All men should strive
to learn before they die
what they are running from, and to, and why.
~James Thurber

~~~
Joke of the Day
About Alimony...

"Mr. Quinn, I have reviewed this case very carefully," the divorce court judge said. "And, I have decided to give your wife $775 a week."

"That's very fair, your honor," the husband said. "And every now and then, I'll try to send her a few bucks myself."

Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: