Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Kentucky

My wife came from Kentucky. We met in Lexington in 1960 at one of our church conventions. It was love from the beginning. After we met I made many trips to Kentucky to visit her in Pellville, KY. This picture shows one of the reasons I liked her. What is they say about Kentucky, "Pretty girls and fast horses", or is it "Fast girls and pretty horses"?

This was back in the days before interstate highways, so I took a map and drew a straight line from Knoxville to Pellville. Then on my first trip I took all the roads that were close to the line. I had an interesting trip to be sure. I went through places I never knew existed. One little place I went through was Rugby, Tennessee. Such an interesting place with unique architecture. Later I learned it was a British community founded in the 1800's. If you have an interest you should Google "Rugby, Tennessee" and learn about it. I would like to go back there some day.

I remember on one trip to Kentucky that my car overheated in Glasgow, Kentucky. I needed some radiator work. I had just enough money for gas, and credit cards did not exist in those days (Maybe they did exist, I just didn't know about them). So I worked out a deal, the shop repaired my radiator, and I gave them my wrist watch to hold until the return trip. I borrowed money from Beverly, and repaid the shop when I picked up my watch on the return trip. Life was different in those days!

More About Kentucky
For those of you who don't live in Kentucky, and think Kentuckians are a bunch of uncivilized ruffians, well, It is just not true! In fact, they have ladies groups that meet regularly to discuss current events, and develop needed home-skills. Here is a photo taken at a recent "Just Say NO to Hillary" Ladies group meeting in Nicholasville....

The above was sent to my by a good friend! A good joke!

Tonight-A Lunar Eclipse
You might want to stay up a little later tonight to observe a total lunar eclipse. It will start at 10 PM Eastern time and last 52 minutes. Click here for more information:

~~~
Quote of the Day
If you have time to whine and complain about something
then you have the time to do something about it.
~ Anthony J. D'Angelo

~~~
Joke of the Day

Ron and Edna were both patients in a mental hospital. One day while they were walking past the hospital swimming pool, Ron suddenly jumped into the deep end. He sank to the bottom of the pool and stayed there.

Edna promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled Ron out.

When the Head Nurse Director became aware of Edna's heroic act, she immediately ordered her to be discharged from the hospital, as she now considered her to be mentally stable.

When she went to tell Edna the news she said, 'Edna, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is you're being discharged; since you were able to rationally respond to a crisis by jumping in and saving the life of another patient, I have concluded that your act displays sound mindedness.

The bad news is, Ron, the patient you saved, hung himself in the bathroom with his bathrobe belt right after you saved him.

I am so sorry, but he's dead.'

Edna replied, 'He didn't hang himself, I put him there to dry.

How soon can I go home?'

Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: