Monday, October 5, 2009

Microsoft

Computers
I have been using computers a big part of my life. My first experience was with a IBM 650 computer when I was in graduate school in 1962-3. I remember taking a class in FORTRAN, using IBM cards and a key punch machine, debugging a program, etc.
Now these cheap hand calculators have more computing power than that IBM 650 we used in graduate school.

In the mid 1980s
An Apple II+ was my first home computer (1982) and thru the years we graduated up to more capable models. At one point I had an IBM compatible with 2 floppy drives and used Microsoft Word. I think it was version 1. But I was very impressed. It was the first software I had ever seen that would show bold and italics on the monitor before you printed it. I remember saying to myself that I should buy a little stock in that company, Microsoft. Unfortunately I did not.

Here’s an interesting picture of Microsoft in 1978. Do you see Bill Gates? (Front row on the left.)

ms 78 

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Every day may not be a great day, but there is something good in each and every day.

~~~
Quote of the Day
You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him. 
~Leo Aikman

~~~
Joke of the Day

One day, Uncle Joe got fired from his construction job. His nephew asked him what happened.

"You know what a foreman is?" he asked. "The one who stands around and watches the other men work?"

"What's that got to do with it?" he asked.

"Well, he just got jealous of me," Uncle Joe explained. "Everyone thought I was the foreman."



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: