Friday, February 26, 2010

Our Amaryllis

Second Year
In November, 2008, we were given an Amaryllis by Sylvia, Mandy and Alex. It was absolutely beautiful that first year.

We read about the care of these beautiful flowers and learned that you can enjoy them in successive years with the proper care. Click here to learn how. Here’s a couple of pictures of what the plant looks like in its second year. Thanks again for a gift that keeps on giving!

IMG_2840 IMG_2841

Flowers are the way the earth smiles.

My Health 
I saw my family doctor yesterday, and I got a report that made me smile. First, let me tell you why I went to the doctor.

It all started Wednesday afternoon. I shaved. Oops! I cut myself. The blood was pouring out of this little small cut beside my nose. I went ahead and took a shower, and it bled all through my shower. Then I dabbed a styptic solution in the cut, bandaged it up and put pressure on it and three hours later it was still bleeding. It had showed down a little, but it was really bleeding. Beverly bandaged it up good for me and I went to bed and forgot about it. Yesterday morning after breakfast I decided to take the bandage off and put on something smaller like a band aid. Guess what? It was still bleeding. (I’m on blood thinners and I have low platelets.)

So I called my doctor and saw him at 10:30 yesterday and he was able to stop the bleeding. He said I had likely cut a blood vessel close to the surface. So now I just have one of those small round band aids.

Then the doctor explained more about the blood clots in my leg, and said that now they have been stabilized by the medications. Now I am free to resume normal activity and exercise. He placed no limits on my exercise, but said no contact or dangerous sports. No football, hockey, or skiing, but fishing is approved. I am very happy.

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
It’s a good thing to go through life believing that everything happens for a reason.

~~~
Quote of the Day
Every vice has its excuse ready.
~Publilius Syrus

~~~
Joke of the Day

An Australian travel writer at the beginning of a 6-month tour of Canada was checking out of the Vancouver Hilton, and as he paid his bill said to the manager, asked, "By the way, what's with the Indian chief sitting in the lobby? He's been there ever since I arrived."

"Oh that's 'Big Chief Forget-me Not'," said the manager.
"The hotel is built on an Indian reservation, and part of the agreement is to allow the chief free use of the premises for the rest of his life.He is known as 'Big Chief Forget-me Not' because of his phenomenal memory He is 92 and can remember the slightest detail of his life."

The travel writer took this in, and as he was waiting for his cab decided to put the chief's memory to the test.
"'ello, mate!" said the Aussie, receiving only a slight nod in return. "What did you have for breakfast on your 21st birthday?"

"Eggs," was the chief's instant reply, without even looking up, and indeed the Aussie was impressed.

He went off on his travel writing itinerary, right across to the east coast and back, telling others of Big Chief Forget-me Not's great memory. (One local noted to him that 'How' was a more appropriate greeting for an Indian chief than ''ello mate.')

On his return to the Vancouver Hilton six months later was surprised to see 'Big Chief Forget-me Not' still sitting in the lobby, fully occupied with whittling away on a stick.

"How?" said the Aussie to the Chief, who again did not stop to look up.

"Scrambled," said the Chief.



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

2 comments:

Dar said...

Your amaryllis is lovely...now I have to check out how you managed to get it to bloom again...
Soooo happy to hear that you no longer are bleeding...my Dad used to get cauterized with each nosebleed or cut for the same reason...thinned blood.
Glad too that your back at the better end of the fishing pole...I think you and my Dad would have gotten lots of fishin' and chattin' done, wish you could have known him...I miss him so much. You have his wit so I suppose that's why you have to put up with mine...thanks for being here.
Wow, Big Chief DOES have a good memory...
and by the way
Everything DOES happen for a reason.
God Bless Your Weekend

Mandy said...

I'm glad you are still enjoying the flower! Funny joke today. Love you!