Thursday, July 10, 2008

Highlining & Slacklining

Slacklining
I recently learned about this new sport the other day through Kim Komando. It's not well known. Slackliners use a nylon rope tied between two objects. Then they walk it like a tight rope. Normally the rope is a few feet off the ground, and it is done to develop focus and balance.

It seems that some of the slackliners have taken the line to extreme heights, called highlining. One example is in this YouTube video which shows Dean Potter highlining to the Lost Arrow Spire in Yosemite National Park. He is 2,900 feet in the air with no safety equipment.


Not me. I'm too old for that. And it makes you wonder why some people like to stare death in the face?

~~~
THE SENILITY PRAYER

Grant me the senility to forget the people
I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
the eyesight to tell the difference.

~~~
Quote of the Day
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it.
~Clarence Darrow


~~~
Joke of the Day
A group of Alabama hunters & friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day.

That night, one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck. "Where's Henry?" the others asked.

"Henry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful hunter replied.

"You left Henry laying out there and carried the deer back?" they inquired.

"A tough call," said the hunter. "But I figured no one is going to steal Henry!"

Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: