Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mount LeConte

A Mountain Escape
Mount LeConte is the third highest peak (6,593 feet) in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. What’s most interesting about this peak is the lodge and cabins that are on the mountain. There are several routes to the peak, and all are nice hikes from 5 to 8 miles depending on your trail. All supplies at the lodge are brought in by Llamas.

HM_cliff top I’ve hiked to the top on a least 3 occasions, the last being a trip with my sister when we spent a night in one of the cabins and had meals in the lodge. It was a wonderful and memorable experience. I’ll never forget that we hit snow on the trail as we approached higher altitudes. The trail was slippery. It was cold, and that meal at the lodge never tasted better.

If I was ever able, I would like to make the trip to the top one more time. Maybe after knee replacements?

For more information:

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Man: Seeing is believing.
God: Believing is seeing.

~~~
Quote of the Day
Goals are dreams with deadlines.
~Diana Scharf Hunt

~~~
Joke of the Day

A senior citizen  said to his eighty-year old buddy:  
'So I hear you're getting married?'  

'Yep!'  

'Do I know her?'  

'Nope!'  

'This woman, is she good looking?'  

'Not really.'  

'Is she a good cook?'  

'Naw, she can't cook too well.'  

'Does she have lots of money?'  

'Nope! Poor as a church mouse.'  

'Why in the world do you want to marry her then?'  

'Because she can still drive!'



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

2 comments:

Karen A. Cooke said...

Hey Jim,
Count me in on that hiking trip to Mt. LeConte. Pat and I have hiked many trails in the Smokies, but never to the lodge. As busy as that place is, we need to book now for when we retire and have the time to hike and when your knee is all fixed! Love ya - your cuz' Karen

Mandy said...

Alex and I are interested in the hike too! He's been up there before and loved it. Let me know when you make reservations and I'll clear our calendar! :)