Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Roman Numerals

Remember?
I was never an expert on Roman numerals. These days I hardly think about them unless I get a crossword puzzle clue that involves them.

I can get around the clock with Roman numerals…
I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII … and that’s about it. They can get complicated. My birth date in Roman numerals is

December XV, MCMXXXVIII

Yes, I’m LXXI years old.

novaroma How did I figure that out. Well… there’s a web site that lets you convert Arabic numbers and Roman numerals. For more information on Roman numerals and a handy conversion tool, click On Roman Numerals.

When I was in high school they taught using Roman numerals in outline. It was called an alphanumeric outline using Roman numerals, capitalized letters, Arabic numerals, and lowercase letters, in that order. It looked something like this:

I.
    A.
    B.
    C.
II.
    A.
       1.
       2.
    B.

But soon as I went to work I found they used a decimal system for outlines and reports …

1.0
     1.1
     1.2
2.0
     2.1
          2.1.1
          2.1.2
          2.1.3
     2.2
     2.3

I don’t do any outlining anymore, except in my head, and it’s pretty simple. You don’t need to do much outlining for a shopping list.

Oh me! What a boring post today. Who cares about Roman numerals and all that stuff anymore. And I don’t know what made me think about it to begin with.

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Be kind to everyone, and wear a nice smile. It will make your day go better for yourself and to others.
Be a blessing while you may.

~~~
Quote of the Day
If a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him
by asking if there is anything you can do. 
Think up something appropriate and do it.
~Edgar Watson Howe

~~~
Joke of the Day

One Sunday a pastor told his congregation that the church needed some extra money and asked the people to prayerfully consider giving a little extra in the offering plate.

He said that whoever gave the most would be able to pick out three hymns.

After the offering plates were passed, the pastor glanced down and noticed that someone had placed a $1,000 bill in offering.

He was so excited that he immediately shared his joy with his congregation and said he'd like to personally thank the person who placed the money in the plate.
A very quiet, elderly, saintly lady all the way in the back shyly raised her hand.

The pastor asked her to come to the front. Slowly she made her way to the pastor.

He told her how wonderful it was that she gave so much and in thanksgiving asked her to pick out three hymns.

Her eyes brightened as she looked over the congregation, pointed to the three handsomest men in the building and said, "I'll take him and him and him."



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I have never used a decimal system outline. That must be one of those statistician things!