We had a great day of fun and work helping Dad plant his tomatoes. Kevin used the post hole digger, Beverly added the fertilizer (black cow) and I did most of the planting on my hands and knees. This year was easier for me because I had bought and brought some knee pads which made it much easier. Here’s a few pictures that I promised… (click on the pictures for a larger view)
Bethany Arrives Today
Our daughter will arrive in Kingsport today for a week. We look forward to her visit and we have some big plans later today. Granddaddy will be grilling burgers on the patio in the back yard, and we might be building a fire to roast some marsh mellows and make some S’mores. Kevin, Lesley, Kara and Zachary will be joining us.
My friend Sue sent me an interesting email the other day. It was about insults that were made with the English language without the use of any cuss words. I’ll share some of them with you today, so you can see how proficient people were at using the language to cut someone down to size.
- The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor: She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it.
- "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).
- "Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hada
- "I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop
- "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde
- "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.
Please don’t insult anyone today or anytime. Be kind to everyone. Think thoughts that don’t lead to insults. The tongue…
“In the same way, the tongue is a small part of the body, yet it can boast of great achievements. A huge forest can be set on fire by a little flame. The tongue is a fire, a world of evil. Placed among the parts of our bodies, the tongue contaminates the whole body and sets on fire the course of life, and is itself set on fire by hell. For all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and sea creatures can be or have been tamed by the human species, but no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil filled with deadly poison.” ~James 3:5-8
The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are " XL."
So I checked my age of seventy (70). It is LXX.
Whew, I thought it might be XXL
Failure doesn't mean you are a failure...
it just means you haven't succeeded yet.
Joke of the Day
An artist asked the gallery owner if there had been any interest in his paintings on display at that time.
"I have good news and bad news," the owner replied. "The good news is that a gentleman inquired about your work and wondered if it would appreciate in value after your death. When I told him it would, he bought all 15 of your paintings."
"That's wonderful," the artist exclaimed. "What's the bad news?"
"The guy was your doctor."