Monday, February 14, 2011

Today is Valentine’s Day

heart1The 14th of February
The day for letting your sweetheart know how much you love them. When I think of candyValentine’s day I think of heart shaped boxes of candy, Valentine cards of all sizes and shapes, and those little heart shaped candies with words of love on them.

Here’s a typical Valentine’s card circa the 1950s. Do you remember them.

Valentine,_crica_1950

peanut2I also think about Charlie Brown on Valentine’s Day. the other day he was hoping to get a Valentine card from little red-haired girl. He likes her so much, but has never had the nerve to even speak to her.

heart1I’m hoping this year that the little red-haired girl will tell Charlie Brown that she wants him to be her Valentine! I also hope that this year that Charlie Brown’s baseball team will win a game. Wouldn’t that be great? I’m dreaming… I must be a knucklehead.

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Happy Valentine’s Day to all the girls in my life, but especially to my darling wife, Beverly. I love her dearly.
gif_heart_297

~~~
Quote of the Day
We would frequently be ashamed of our good deeds if people saw all of the motives that produced them.
~La Rochefoucauld, Maxims, 1665
 
~~~
Joke of the Day

One  day an old German Shepherd starts chasing rabbits and before long, discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a panther heading  rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch. The  old German Shepherd thinks, "Uh, oh! I'm in deep trouble  now!"

Noticing  some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew  on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the panther  is about to leap, the old German Shepherd exclaims  loudly, "Boy,  that was one delicious panther! I wonder, if there are any more around  here?"

Hearing this, the young panther halts his attack in mid-strike,  a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the  trees. "Whew!,"  says the panther, "That was close! That old German Shepherd nearly had me!"

Meanwhile, a squirrel who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the panther. So, off he goes. The squirrel soon catches up with the panther, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the panther. The young panther is furious  at being made a fool of and says, "Here, squirrel, hop on my back and  see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!"

Now, the  old German Shepherd sees the panther coming with the squirrel on his  back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?," but instead of running,  the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old German Shepherd says..."Where's  that squirrel? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another panther."

(Us old dogs are pretty smart.)



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: