Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Why I Fish

It’s Called Fishing, Not Catching
P1020968 If you always caught fish with every cast, or if it was not a challenge, then I would probably not like fishing. So one of my reasons for enjoying fishing is the uncertainty of adventure. Will we catch fish? What kind will we catch? How big will they be?

Another reason I like to fish is that I enjoy eating the fish we catch. To me I enjoy fried crappie, or charbroiled trout with all the trimmings. Delicious eating in my book.

Boat A third reason is that I like being on the water. I enjoy the feeling of the boat moving through the water, the bouncing of the waves, the wind in your face, and the warm sunshine. There’s something about the water that is very relaxing.

scene And I enjoy fishing because of the beautiful scenery and wildlife you get to enjoy while being on the water. It might be a deer taking a drink from a quiet cove, some turkeys feeding in a meadow, or a blue heron perched on a tree limb. There’s a stillness and quietness that exists on the lake that you can’t find anywhere else. (That is until the jet skis get going.)

Perhaps there’s another reason?
My good friend Duke sent me the following email last week:

Jim:
Saw something the other day (don't remember the source) that really stuck with me, and perhaps explains all your fishing trips.  It was something along the lines of "God gives you a limited number of days on earth, but doesn't count the ones you spend fishing."  Don't know that statistics behind that, but certainly sounds like a good rationale!

Duke

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Before you speak a word, think.
Is it true, is it kind, and is it necessary?

~~~
Quote of the Day
The best way to succeed in life is to act
on the advice we give to others.
~Author Unknown

~~~
Joke of the Day

"A man was driving down a country road. He noticed a 6-legged chicken trotting along the road beside him as he was going 25 MPH. He increased his speed to 30 MPH, then 40 MPH, then 50 MPH and the chicken stayed right even with him.

Finally, the chicken took off through the field at a very fast pace. Somewhat startled, he stopped at a little country store and told the grocer what he had seen.

The grocer told him that KFC had a research laboratory not far from here, and that was one of the 6-legged chickens they had developed.

"Wow, a 6-legged chicken," said the man, "They must be making a fortune with that?"

The grocer responded, "No fortune at all. They haven't been able to catch one."



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: