I received this the other day from a good friend and I thought it was interesting. You might enjoy it also. I have not confirmed the validity of each of the following statements.
- 1792 - Kentucky was the first state on the western frontier to join the Union.
- 1816 - (first promoted) Mammoth Cave , with 336+ miles of mapped passages, is the world's longest cave. It is 379 feet deep and contains at least 5 levels of passages.. It's second only to Niagara Falls as the most popular tourist attraction in the US ... It became a National Park on July 1, 1941.
- 1856 - The first enamel bathtub was made in Louisville.
- 1883 - The first electric light bulb was shown in Louisville . Thomas Alva Edison introduced his invention to crowds at the Southern Exposition.
- 1887 - Mother's Day was first observed in Henderson by teacher Mary S. Wilson. It became a national holiday in 1916.
- 1893 - 'Happy Birthday to You', probably the most sung song in the world, was written by two Louisville sisters - Mildred and Patricia Hill.
- Late 19th century - Bibb lettuce was first cultivated by Jack Bibb in Frankfort, Kentucky
- 1934 - Cheeseburgers were first tasted at Kaelin's Restaurant in Louisville.
- 1937 - The first Wigwam Village Motel, with units in the shape of a 'teepee', was built by Frank A. Redford in Cave City.
- The world's largest baseball bat, a full one hundred twenty (120) feet tall and weighing 68,000 pounds, can be seen at the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville (Jefferson Co.).
- Chevrolet Corvettes are manufactured only in Bowling Green.
- Fort Knox holds more than $6 billion worth of gold - the largest amount stored anywhere in the world.
- The JIF plant in Lexington is the world's largest peanut butter producing facility.
- Kentucky has more resort parks than any other state in the nation.
- Middlesboro is the only United States city built inside a meteor crater.
- Newport is home to The World Peace Bell, the world's largest free-swinging bell.
- Pike County is the world's largest producer of coal.
- Pikeville annually leads the nation (per capita) in consumption of Pepsi-Cola.
- Post-It Notes are made exclusively in Cynthiana, KY
- Christian County is 'wet', while Bourbon County is 'dry'. ('wet 'sells liquor; 'dry' does not)
- Barren County has the most fertile land in the state.
- Lake Cumberland has more miles of shoreline than the state of Florida.
My wife is from Kentucky. She was born and raised in a very small community called Pellville. I used to kid her that Kentucky was home of pretty horses and fast women.Vacation on the Lake
Beverly and I are leaving later today to go to the cabin in Dandridge. Most the family will be joining us later in the week. We leave our home in good hands with the neighbors on both sides and ADT Security.
Some people don't have a lot to say. Unfortunately you have to listen for quite a while to find that out
Joke of the Day