Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The 1948 Tucker

A Revolutionary Automobile
666px-TuckerI vaguely remember seeing one when I was a young boy. I hope my memory doesn’t fail me, but I remember that Dad pointed one of these cars out on Chapman Highway in Knoxville, Tennessee. I remember it impressed me because it was modern looking for the time, and it had three (3) headlights. The middle one turned with the steering wheel to light the way for you on a turn. The picture of the Tucker is from Wikipedia and you can read more about this car at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Tucker_Sedan 

I thought it was interesting that only 51 of these cars where produced before it folded in 1951. There was a movie produced in 1988 about this auto and the man who created it. Read more about it here:

Tucker: The Man and His Dream

~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Some told me recently that “Bad decisions make good stories. “ It made me think about times when I was going through a bad situation, when I realized that sometime later I would be laughing about it while telling the story. You ever done that?

~~~
Quote of the Day
I am always doing that which I cannot do,
in order that I may learn how to do it.
~Pablo Picasso

~~~
Joke of the Day

Two old Jewish men, Sid and Al, are sitting in a Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles . One day Sid asks Al, "Do you know of any people of our faith born and raised in Mexico ?"

Al replies, "I don't know, let's ask our waiter." When the waiter arrives, Al asks, "Are there any Mexican Jews?" The waiter says, "I don't know, Senor, I ask the cook." He returns from the kitchen a few minutes later and says, "No, Senor, the cook say no Mexican Jews."

Al isn't satisfied and asks, "Are you absolutely sure?" The waiter, realizing he is dealing with 'Gringos,' replies, "I check once again, Senor." While the waiter is away, Sid says, "I find it hard to believe that there are no Jews in Mexico . Our people are scattered everywhere. The waiter returns and says, "Senor, the head cook say there is no Mexican Jews." Al asks, "Are you certain? I just can't believe there are no Mexican Jews."

The exasperated waiter says, "Senor, I ask EVERYONE. All we have is Orange Jews, Grape Jews, Prune Jews and Tomato Jews.

(The above joke reminded me of the time when we were dining in a local Mexican Restaurant. We had spent time in Mexico and as we were eating we were wondering what type of cheese they used. We were guessing it was Manchego or some other variety. So we asked the server to check for us. He returned after a visit to the kitchen and told us it was Land O’Lakes. Ooookay.)

landolakes_logo


Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

8x10 photograph of a 1948 Tucker - Sensational post ware car promised to revolutionize the auto industry; private inventors lost millions when the company went bankrupt. This car, built for Preston Tucker, was produced in Chicago and is car number 30 of 52 made. It was on display at the Chicago Historical Antique Automobile Museum.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130637856316?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Anonymous said...

Actually their were 58 Tucker bodies made. 36 were finished at the factory before it closed. All were 1948's, except the convertible which was the only 1949 model. It was pulled out of the line by designer Alex Tremulis to become the wrap around rear window like a Corvette Sting Ray as shown in the 1950 Life Magazine photo. Somewhere along the line, it became a convertible. All Tuckers made were not meant for the general public, but only as demostrators for the dealers.