Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Preparation Day

Pre-Op
Today I go to the hospital for my pre-operation visit and to have the inferior vena cava filter inserted. My first knee surgery will be one week from today, November 30, 2010. I have to be honest in saying I dread what is coming up, but know that if I want to have a full, active life that knee replacement surgery is necessary.

en2410860Inferior Vena Cava Filter
The
diagram to the right shows that the Inferior Vena Cava Filter is placed in the vein (blue) not the artery (red). The circle shows what the filter looks like.  It reminds me of an umbrella frame.

I’m having the filter inserted because last year I suffered from some major blood clots in my left leg. My surgeon recommended the filter as a precaution because of the possibility of blood clots during or after surgery.

If you’re interested you can read what Wikipedia says about these filters.

Bethany
Our daughter Bethany arrives today as our first out of town visitor for Thanksgiving 2010. A  big week is on the way! We’re excited!

 
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
If I had known I would live this long,
I would have taken better care of myself.
Now that sounds silly, but I believe there is some truth in that statement.

~~~
Quote of the Day
The only thing wrong with doing nothing is that you never know when you're finished.
~Author Unknown

~~~
Joke of the Day

A young man bought an expensive piece of jewelry as a present for his girlfriend.

“Don’t you want her name engraved on it?” asked the clerk.

The young man thought for a moment, and then, ever the realistic, steadfastly replied, “No, just engrave it: To My One and Only Love. That way, if we break up and she throws it back to me in anger, I can use it again.”


Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

1 comment:

John said...

Good luck with the pre-op Jim...you are in our thoughts & prayers as you go through this process. We are looking forward to seeing you on Thanksgiving Day.