Thursday, March 15, 2012

First Day of Fishing in 2012

Last Tuesday, March 13
IMG_2148Doug and I went to Douglas earlier this week. We had a good day on the lake. It was a good time to check out the boat and make sure everything is functions properly for the coming fishing season. We also caught lots of fish. However, most of them were too small to put in the live well. We did not keep count, but I’m not exaggerating to tell you we caught about 60 crappie. Most of these were released as we only put 8 fish on our stringer, including 1 nice sauger pike. The picture above shows me holding the stringer.

We used out standard method of trolling with 16 rods. And every time I tell people that they ask, “Don’t you get lines tangled up a lot?” Then I explain our system. See the pictures below that show our setup.

IMG_2139
This is the set up on each side of the boat for 5 rods
of different lengths:
16’, 14’, 12’. 10’, and 8’.
IMG_2141
Off the back we have 6 rods out. That makes a total of 16 rods moving through the water at 0.7 to 1.0 MPH.

The 2 feet separation between the rods help eliminate tangles between rods. The biggest cause for tangles is trash in the water, and by trash I mean leaves, twigs, tree limbs, etc.

.
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
The fisherman’s worse enemy is wind. Wind will mess up your lines, and inhibit boat control.  I would much rather fish in the rain, that try to fish in the wind.
.

~~~
Quote of the Day
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you don't think.
~Author Unknown

~~~
Joke of the Day

A young man just had his first customer, which turned out to be a BIG BURLY truck driver. The young man walked up to the table where the truck driver was sitting and asked; can I take your order sir?

The truck driver replied, sure kid I want three flat tires and two headlights. The young man was very puzzled and said, I beg your pardon? The truck driver said again, look kid; I want three flat tires and two headlights. The young man was still puzzled, but replied; yes sir, whatever.

The young man then took the request to his boss who was the head cook. He told him about the truck driver's order, and that he wanted three flat tires and two headlights, “I think he's in the wrong place.”

The head cook said, I know what he wants, he wants three flap jacks and two eggs sunny side up; the truck driver is just trying to be smart, I know him.

The cook said to the waiter here, take this bowl of beans, give it to him and say this.

The truck driver said, Listen kid, I didn't order this; I said I wanted three flat tires and two headlights. The waiter replied, Well sir, the head cook said while you wait for your parts, you can gas up!



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: