Thursday, March 1, 2012

Diverging Diamond Intersection

For Exit 407 on Interstate 40
This intersection is very busy and clogs up routinely with congestion. It is one of the key exits that from the interstate that will take you to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

I read a couple of days ago that the Feds had approved a project to ease the traffic at this gateway. The solution is to install a “diverging diamond intersection.”

My first reaction was, “What in the world is that???” I learned too, that this idea has been used in Europe, and it works. Still, I was confused, as the words I read seemed confusing to describe such an intersection.

So I went to Google which took me to YouTube and I found a visualization of such an intersection. When you watch it below, think of the dark green highway as Interstate 40, and the road intersecting it as State Highway 66. (The big difference is that State Highway 66 goes over the interstate rather than under, as illustrated in the video.)

It looks like it will be a big project, and I hope it works.

The article I read gave no information on the timetable for the project.

~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
There’s a Bass Pro Shop at exit 407 on Interstate 40. I hope the above project will make it easier for me to do my shopping for fishing tackle.
.
I also hope they fix those potholes on I81 south of Kingsport, Tenn. I’m tired of trying to dodge them when I make that trip.
(I have my PhD for sure… Pot Hole Dodger)
.

~~~
Quote of the Day
Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the
ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars
when you had hair.
~Sam Ewing
.

~~~
Joke of the Day

A Pastor goes to the dentist for a set of false teeth. The first Sunday after he gets his new teeth, he talks for only eight minutes. The second Sunday, he talks for only ten minutes. The following Sunday, he talks for 2 hours and 48 minutes.

The congregation had to mob him to get him down from the pulpit and they asked him what happened.

The Pastor explains the first Sunday his gums hurt so bad he couldn't talk for more than 8 minutes.

The second Sunday his gums hurt too much to talk for more than 10 minutes.

But, the third Sunday, he put his wife's teeth in by mistake and he couldn't shut up.



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: