Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Great Smoky Mountains

Last Sunday
The Knoxville News-Sentinel ran several articles in last Sunday’s paper about the creation and dedication of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

In a couple of the old photographs it showed the dedication ceremony with President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on September 2, 1940. Many of you may have been to the spot where this dedication ceremony was made at Newfound Gap.

I was asking my Dad about this the other day. And he told me that he remembers it clearly. He was in the crowd that day and saw President Roosevelt and heard his speech on top of the mountain.

The first picture shows President at the podium making his speech on Sept. 2, 1940. My Dad’s out there in the crowd somewhere.

Smokies
This next picture shows the crowd that was gathered to see and hear. Click on the pictures for a nicer and larger view.
Smokies2 I hope to have Dad to share with more about the events of that day. I am curious about their travel from Knoxville, how long it took, what kind of car, who was with him, their thoughts about the event, etc. And I wonder where I was? I would have been 1 year and 9 months old at that time, and I am sure I was home with Mom.

Some Links About the Smoky Mountains:

~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
The more knowledge you attain in this life, only goes to show not what you know, but what you really don’t know. This is true if you are wise.

The following quote is so true.
~~~
Quote of the Day
There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox

~~~
Joke of the Day

Curious when I found two black-and-white negatives in a drawer, I had them made into prints. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were of a younger, slimmer me, taken on one of my first dates with my husband.

When I showed him the photos, his face lit up. "Wow, look at that!" he said with appreciation. "It's my old Plymouth!"

… AND …

I have a funny poem on my Diet Scorecard Blog. It’s called ’Twas the Month After Christmas

Check it out: Chick Here



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

1 comment:

betty said...

wow, that is a special memory for your dad to have; I do hope you get to find out the rest of your questions you have for him about that day!

betty