Friday, May 15, 2009

TVA Sportfish Survey

Swann’s Marina was our kickoff yesterday morning for participating in one of the sport fish surveys conducted by TVA. Ralph and I left my house at 5:30 AM and we made one stop at Cracker Barrel, then got to the Marina around 7:15 AM. We were amazed at the level of the water in the lake. I have not seen it this high in at least 5 years. I think all this rain we have had in East Tennessee has finally got us back to the norm in lake levels.

We “caught” 181 game fish. All were returned back to the lake in good health. The fish surveyed included bass, crappie, walleye, and sauger. Other species (like catfish, bluegill, carp, drum, etc.) which were electro- shocked were not netted and brought into the boat. Here’s some pictures I took yesterday during the fish survey.

One of the 2 TVA boats
P1050555
The Electro shocking device
P1050572
A shocked crappie is netted
P1050752
A bass being measured
P1050738
A bass being weighed
P1050595
The man in front is netting fish
P1050665
One of the larger bass
P1050607
Another healthy bass
P1050674

One of the larger crappie
P1050700

Click on any of the photos above for a larger view.

Participation in the TVA Gamefish surveys is open to anyone. It’s a good experience and opportunity to learn. I’m surprised more people don’t sign up.

I plan to put together a photo album of more of the pictures I took yesterday, and provide more information about the survey. I hope I can share it with you early next week.


Swim Lessons


Today is the final day of the 2009 swimming lessons for Kara and Zachary. Yesterday they both did great. Kara is learning to dive and she is making good progress. Zachary jumped off the diving board yesterday. They are both excellent swimmers.
~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
Someone told me,
“Don’t put question marks, where God put periods.”

~~~
Quote of the Day
What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.
~Abraham Lincoln

~~~
Joke of the Day

Three sons left home, went out on their own and prospered. Getting back together, they discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly mother.

The first said, "I built a big house for our mother." The second said, "I sent her a Mercedes with a driver."

The third smiled and said, "I've got you, both beat. You remember how Mom enjoyed reading the Bible? And you know she can't see very well. I sent her a remarkable parrot that recites the entire Bible. It took elders in the church 12 years to teach him. He's one of a kind. Mama just has to name the chapter and verse, and the parrot recites it."

Soon thereafter, Mom sent out her letters of thanks: "Milton," she wrote one son, "the house you built is so huge. I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house." "Gerald," she wrote to another, "I am too old to travel. I stay most of the time at home, so I rarely use the Mercedes. And the driver is so rude!" "Dearest Donald," she wrote to her third son, "you have the good sense to know what your mother likes. The chicken was delicious."

Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

No comments: