Wednesday, July 11, 2012

An Old Shovel

A Story Could Be Told
Yes, a story could be told about this old shovel. I wonder who bought it? How much did it cost? How was it used?

It has an interesting wooden handle. It’s one piece of wood all the way to the metal.

IMG_2324

It was broken at one time, and look how it was repaired:

IMG_2325

It looks like wire was used to make the repair. Maybe this was before welding was available.

IMG_2323

I that shovel could talk it could tell us who made the handle, how it got broken, who made the repair, etc. We found this along with Dad’s things in his out building. It was one of those things he never told me about, and now I have many questions.

 

~~~
Tennessee Granddaddy Says:
I’m growing shorter. I was at the doctor’s office  the other day and they weighed me and measure my height. It wasn’t my weight that surprised me…. it was that I am growing shorter. I’m over 2 inches shorter now than when I graduated from high school. Did you know that this is normal for us seniors? It’s caused by the shrinkage in the discs separating the vertebrae.

~~~
Quote of the Day
There is little success where there is little laughter.
~Andrew Carnegie

~~~
Joke of the Day

IT'S BEEN SO HOT in Tennessee

  • the birds have to use potholders to pull the worms out of the ground.
  • the trees are whistling for the dogs.
  • the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance
  • hot water comes from both taps.
  • you can make sun tea instantly.
  • you learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
  • the temperature drops below 90 F and you feel a little chilly.
  • you discover that it only takes two fingers to steer your car.
  • you discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.
  • you actually burn your hand opening the car door.
  • you break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 A.M.
  • your biggest motorcycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death"?
  • you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage.
  • the potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter.
  • the cows are giving evaporated milk.
  • farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.

IT'S SO DRY IN Tennessee that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving rain checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water!



Add your thoughts & ideas to this blog by clicking on the "comments" below

3 comments:

John White said...

Great post, Jim. I think I recognize that shovel...has a very distinctive look doesn't it? Could it have been at White Bros or in the shed at Papaw's house?????

Helen said...

It looks as though a long piece of soldering wire was used to repair that shovel with just a touch of the soldering iron.

betty said...

My guess is that it is your grandfather's shovel. I have a wooden chair that my grandfather repaired with wire. Out of respect for him, I would never change it.
That is one amazing shovel. Aloha.